Easy to cook, lovely to eat! A simple recipe, perfect for summertime.
- Italian or French bread, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- fresh, ripe, firm tomato, washed and coarsely chopped
- fresh basil leaves, whole or shredded
- olive oil, extra virgin, the best
- garlic, peeled, whole (optional)
- salt to taste
Place sliced bread under the broiler, in the toaster or best yet over a charcoal grill and toast.
Rub toast with a clove of garlic or not, depending on taste.
Drizzle with olive oil.
Spoon chopped tomato onto bread.
Scatter some basil. Alternatively, place the tomatoes, basil, garlic (chopped fine), olive oil and salt in a bowl and mix.
Set bowl at table alongside the toasted bread and simply spoon on mixture.
Some prefer to use sliced rather than chopped tomato.
Whatever way you serve it, it is delicious.
Many delicious recipes and Italian dishes with the Insitute Galilei’s cooking courses 🙂