The “pappa al pomodoro” is one of those dishes that best represents the Florentine and Tuscan cuisine, as it is made of simple ingredients which, properly combined, offers tasty and flavoured dishes!!
Here are the ingredients:
350 gr of stale Tuscan bread
500 grams of ripe Tuscan tomatoes
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1 lt of vegetable broth
– Peel the tomatoes (they are ripe, so there is no need to pass them in boiling water), remove the seeds and cut them into small pieces.
– Heat up the oil in a pot with garlic. When the garlic releases its aroma, add the tomatoes and some basil stalks.
– Season with salt, add the chili and simmer the sauce for a few minutes covering the pot.
– Cut the bread into small pieces and let it soften in warm vegetable broth. Squeeze lightly and add the bread to the tomato sauce.
– Cook for about 15-20 minutes while turning it, until the “pappa” begins to take shape. If it is either too dry, balance the consistency by pouring a ladle of broth.
Add the fresh basil leaves torn by hand and leave to rest for an hour.
The pappa al pomodoro is at it best when served warm with a sprinkle of pepper and a little olive oil…
And now…Buon Appetito!!!
If you wish to know more on Italian cooking or you’s like to take a few lessons to learn and improve your cooking skills with a professional chef, then take a look to our Italian cooking courses!